In addition to established methods for the treatment of benign prostatic hyerplasia (BPH), new methods are becoming increasingly important in endourology and a trend towards endoscopic enucleation of the prostate (EEP) can be observed in recent years. This is also reflected in the current EAU Guidelines (2018). In the current guidelines EEP is cited as the first choice for treatment of BPH for prostate glands > 80 ml.
Richard Wolf offers the user a variety of products in the field of laser surgery and in the field of HF surgery, so that the endourologist can obtain his complete set of instruments, including a high-power laser, from Richard Wolf, regardless of his preferred surgical technique.
SHARK meets PIRANHA
The SHARK resectoscope line has the right instrument for every deployment. As a highly efficient morcellation system the PIRANHA product line completes the package for EEP and guarantees fast and precise morcellation of tissue sections, thanks to a specially developed technology.
Together SHARK and PIRANHA reduce surgical times and provide greater safety for the patient.
Via the PIRANHA Vmax blade, at a speed of 1500 rpm a cutting capacity can be achieved that is 93 % greater than that of a standard morcellator blade.
SHARK resectoscopes can be used for laser enucleation of the prostate, as well as for bipolar enucleation.
The details of the required instrument set are provided below with all the advantages at a glance.
SHARK laser resectoscope with working element
The advantages at a glance
- Simple SNAP-ON click mechanism for sheath system and guide tube
- High irrigation capacity and selective irrigation flow control through SHARK tip geometry
- Two variants on continuous irrigation sheath systems: 22/24 Fr. or 24/26 Fr.
- 24/26 Fr. sheath system in addition available with robust stainless steel tip for blunt enucleation
- Working element or working insert for laser fibers up to 1000 µm
- Laser fibers can be fixed in place with a clamp screw
SHARK resectoscope 24/26 Fr. with either active or passive working element and bipolar enucleation electrode
The advantages of Bipolar enucleation electrode and SHARK at a glance
- Small electrode head for precise work
- Distal wedge-shaped electrode head allows blunt, mechanical enucleation
- Proximal supply line wires with high mechanical stability
- Donut-shaped electrode surface for effective vaporization and coagulation
- Atraumatic ceramic tip of the SHARK inner sheath
For additional information concerning the SHARK resectoscope line with outer and inner sheaths, active and passive working elements, monopolar and bipolar electrodes, telescopes, and Pendual blue camera head, see
- Outstanding visualization through two integrated irrigation channels
- An outher sheath change is not required for enucleation and morcellation
- High irrigation capacity through a 5 mm working channel
- Telescope can be used for outer sheaths from 24 Fr. or 26 Fr.
- Simple SNAP-ON click mechanism for sheath system
- Large, automatic valve prevents water from escaping from the working channel
- High torque for maximum cutting force
- Controlled suctioning of tissue sections
- Separate collection container for collecting the tissue sections
- Histological examination of the morcellated tissue is possible with no problems
- Footswitch for easy changeover between the operating modes "PIRANHA Mode" (suction and morcellation) and "Suction Mode" (suctioning of blood clots or the most minute tissue chips)
- High-speed morcellation through a specially developed cutting tooth geometry
- Thanks to a larger suction window there is no ping-pong effect
- Optimal visualization of the cutting window
- More safety through the atraumatic morcellator tip
- Available as a disposable product and a reuseable product
"Again and again I am impressed with the speed and the safety of the new PIRANHA morcellation system, which is even increased though the new Vmax blades. A morcellator that sets the course: removal of a 120 g prostrate gland in less than 10 minutes makes the enucleation procedure a very fast and competitive method."
Dr. Fernando Gómez SANCHA, Instituto de Cirugia Urológica Avanzada Madrid, Spain
Subject to modifications. Please note that some products may not be available in all countries. Please always take note of the information that is provided with the product. For more detailed information, please consult with your contact partner or directly with Richard Wolf GmbH.